Thursday, October 31, 2013

A Simpler Life

By Laurie Ness

So many activities.

So much stuff.

So many choices.

So much wasted time.

So much, so many, so much, so many . . . it's enough to make a girl's mind spin!  Out of control, perhaps!

Not to mention the ineffectiveness, confusion, stress, and disconnected families that often remain in clutter's wake.

Enough is enough!  Too much of anything is NOT a good thing.  But what can we do about it?  We have to keep up with the Joneses (whoever they are), right?  We have to make sure our kids participate in every activity imaginable, right?  We certainly need to let everyone on social media know our every movement and meal, right?  And we have to be involved with every available ministry, right?

No!  It's not right!  To be too busy, to have too much, to be involved in things we aren't called by the Lord to do . . . all of these are hindrances to living and ministering effectively. I understand this well because I've been there.  In fact, I find I am there again more often than I care to be!

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us,"  Hebrews 12:1

"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal."  Matthew 6:20

"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."  Matthew 6:33

We don't need to worry.  We don't need to hang on to things.  We don't need to do what we weren't called to do.  We don't need to waste time.

What DO we need to do?  What will help us simplify our lives?

1.  Practice gratitude.  The best way I can think of to experience contentment--which leads to living more simply-- is to choose to be grateful for what I have right now.  So many blessings are ours to count if we but choose to do so!  Keep a journal specifically to record what you're thankful for--it's great to read on days when it's harder to think of things!

2.  Pray.  Ask God for wisdom to know what to hold on to and courage/strength to let go of what He asks us to.

3.  Purge.  It's not easy, but it needs to be done.  There are the physical things we own that need to be gone through and decisions made about:  clothes, papers, toys, electronics, food, etc.  And then there are the more intangibles, like what activities to be involved in or skip, and ways to spend our "free time."

4.  Ask ourselves important questions about each item/activity to help us decide whether to keep it or pitch it:
  • Do I need it?
  • Does it help keep me close to the Lord?
  • Does it further His Kingdom?
  • Do I feel confident that He has called me to do this?
  • Does it foster closeness and togetherness in my family?
  • Does it serve a good purpose?
5.  Seek accountability.  It's so beneficial if we talk with a trusted friend about the changes we need to make in our lives, ask them to pray, and give them permission to ask us how we're doing from time to time.  God didn't design us to live our lives alone.  We need each other!

6.  Relax.  That means different things to different people, but we need to take time for rest and relaxation, not only physically, but also reminding ourselves that we are not responsible to be all things to all people.  This isn't an excuse to be lazy, but a release from "responsibilities" that were never meant to be ours.

Simplify! :)





2 comments:

  1. wow! I really love this......,this was me, but through gods grace he is showing me how to change it, and every word of this is so true!I was always working,i thought I needed to provide for my family to,but it got me no where but having health issues,and it was as though god was saying "you are having these issues for a reason,I want u to slow down,it was a hard thing for me to except,since I have always worked and taken care of myself,i have learned by trusting in him that he will take care of us,he provides for us what we "need"and know he has something better for me!,God does not want us to be working all the time,or be on the run,he wants us to enjoy it and get out of life every moment we have!When we trust in him,and put him first,we start to see the blessings!And it is the most wonderful feeling that u can ever experience!

    ReplyDelete